Wednesday 14 October 2015

How I Stay Healthy and Happy


To me, being healthy isn't about losing weight so I'm definitely not promoting that everyone should be stick thin! The true meaning behind this post is to be happy you must feel healthy! I've struggled over the last few years with this, just generally not feeling my best and I truly believe it is down to lifestyle choices. Whilst being a student and living the student life it did impact how I felt and obviously if you spend half your life slugging about in your pjs then you're not going to get a lot done! This post could easily split in to two, how you can stay feeling motivated and positive but also the importance of feeling healthy! So this post is dedicated to how I try to stay active, healthy and better about myself and part two will be coming soon!

1. Exercise Bike and TV
Whilst at Uni a lot of people had gym memberships and I really didn't think I'd get the use of it, it also seemed like a waste of time getting down there, exercising, walking back, showering etc. So I decided to get an exercise bike and it was one of the best decisions ever! I had it in my Uni room and would do some exercise while catching up on YouTube then could just get on with my day. Now the exercise is squished into my little flat but is in the lounge, facing the TV, which means I can happily sit there, cycle and watch TV. I normally motivate myself to do this by catching up on shows the boyfriend won't watch with me in the evenings (i.e Made in Chelsea)

2.Walking Everywhere
I don't have a car and I hate paying the ridiculous amount of money for the bus, so when I can I've started walking to where I need to go, if it's within an hours walk and not pouring with rain. To be honest sometimes it's just as quick to walk once you've waited for the bus, sat in traffic etc. Plus I don't mind walking once I've got my earphones in and some Taylor Swift playing!

3. Green Tea
I started drinking green tea probably about a year ago when I realized that milk didn't really agree with me. A lot of people complain it's bitter but honestly if you get used to the taste you won't notice it. I really think it has contributed to me feeling good about myself- it's hydrating, reduces bloating and has lots of other health benefits! So don't get waste your money on a tea detox - just pick up some green tea next time you're doing the food shop.

4. No Fast Food
This is just a personal thing but I hate to think what goes into the likes of Mcdonalds etc so for the last year and a bit I've chosen not to have fast food. The temptation to get it as a quick lunch when you're out is often high as it's cheap but I've instead opting for a meal deal and getting myself a pasta salad.  I really don't miss it or crave it! 

5. Routine
Routine is a weird one, I guess it could either fall into health or having a positive mind set. However, I find that routine has a huge impact on how I feel and my energy levels. I've found it hard to establish a routine over the last few years, whilst at uni and now working varying hours. To add some sort of routine I do try to get up at around the same time, go to bed at the same time and do certain things at certain times of the day. Without a routine I can feel very groggy and I feel sticking to a routine makes me far more productive.

Do you have any tips for feeling happy  and healthy? Let me know in the comments or tweet me @_bowsandbuttons

Hayley x 

No comments:

Post a Comment