Thursday 15 January 2015

FoxCroft and Ginger Review*


 "Laid back all day dinning spot, where you can enjoy a coffee and a sandwich or share a couple of dinner plates with great wine." {FoxCroft and Ginger}

Last week I was lucky enough stay in London for a couple of days. After a long day on the train and shopping in Westfields (a.k.a. shopping heaven!) me and my boyfriend dropped into FoxCroft and Ginger for an evening meal. 

FoxCroft and Ginger opened in early 2010 in Soho and in April last year they opened a new restaurant in Whitechapel. By day they serve brunch, cakes, pastries and offer a lunch menu. In the evening they serve from a smaller menu which is all pizza. They recently have also started a "Grab and Go" range of sandwiches and salads which are ready to take away which means no waiting around!
"We make all our breads using a sourdough base which means that no yeast is added to our mixture, which in turn makes our bread easier to digest." {FoxCroft and Ginger}

At first, I admit, I was skeptical, their evening menu is small but do not let this put you off in the slightest for the food they do offer is incredible. I ordered the marinated mozzarella, tomato sauce, garlic and herb oil pizza and my boyfriend had the garlic and fennel sausage, red pepper, ricotta, burnt onion and bechamel pizza. On the side we had garlic bread with the most amazingly seasoned tomato fondue. Between us we had plenty of food, my boyfriend polished off his pizza but we couldn't manage all the garlic bread and a few slices of my pizza. I requested to have it boxed up which was kindly done for me, I was assured that not many people manage to finish their generously sized pizzas! I was also informed that the pizza was cooked by an Italian which for me was definitely a bonus as I think we so often forget the culture behind pizza with the likes of big pizza takeaway companies being so successful in this country!

When ordering I did find that some items on the menu could have done with a bit more description to help me make a decision on what to order. However, staff were very happy to explain to me what the food was and what it was made of (i.e the tomato fondue). Additionally, all the pizza is made from sour dough, which admittedly I had not previously tried, however I could not taste the sourness and thought the dough was perfect!

Even though neither of me or my boyfriend could have probably managed it, we were slightly saddened by the fact that they didn't do any desserts! It was the kind of place that I would have happily stayed, had a few more drinks and then probably would have wanted something sweet after letting my food go down a bit.
Eating in this restaurant was a lovely experience, it had a chilled out vibe, the staff were polite and the service was really good. I especially loved the decor used, it has a quirky industrial-chic design. I adored their big wall mounted lights which were next to our table and you can see in the photos. The background music was good, although it was not music I was familiar with it was nice and upbeat.

As for location, it was easy to find, especially considering my knowledge of where places are in London is very limited! The nearest tube station is Oxford Circus and if you carry on down Oxford street and take a side road (Berwick Street) and continue walking you soon find it. If I'm in the area again, without a doubt, I would stop by FoxCroft and Ginger! It's the perfect escape from the business of Oxford Street and gives you a chance to relax and enjoy some delicious food. I'd really love to return in the future and try the food they offer in the day and their lunch menu. You would definitely love it there if you're a pizza lover and want somewhere really chilled out to eat.
If you're in the area and need a bite to eat I would definitely recommend FoxCroft and Ginger. Have you ever eaten at FoxCroft and Ginger? Let me know your thoughts in the comments or tweet me @_bowsandbuttons

 3 Berwick Street, Soho
London W1F 0DR
.
69-79 Mile End Road
Whitechapel E1 4TT

*Budget was given to eat at this restaurant to allow me to write this review

No comments:

Post a Comment